Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Books galore

I've started spinning some new fiber and will show pictures later this week. I'm completely loving the new fiber and have been spinning more than knitting this week. My knitting though is still managing to get some attention. The Noro sweater is growing and the colors are just fun to watch. In the meantime, as the blog waits for yarny pictures, here are reviews on some books I've recently finished.

Book Reviews
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I hungrily hunted for this book when I finally had a gap in my reading list. The bookstore only had one copy left and I'm glad I snatched it up. This book is different than the Omnivore's Dilemma . It does not explore food history, but instead, focuses on eating habits and how these habits impact health and enjoyment of food. Pollan tells you in the first paragraph the entire premise of the book, and then uses the remainder of the book to explain in depth what he means by "eat food, not too much, mostly plants," and how the Western diet goes against this philosophy. Reading this book renewed my commitment to healthy eating and how the time spent in preparing good meals is time well spent. If you enjoy food and love to eat, then this book is for you.




View all my reviews.

The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, Book 2) The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
After discovering Fforde a couple of years ago, I became an avid fan of the Thursday Next series. When the Jack Spratt mystery, The Big Over Easy came out, I downloaded the book, loved listening to it, and then bought a paper copy for my DH. DH actually brought The Fourth Bear home and was the first to read it. I enjoyed the book, just not as much as the Thursday Next series or the first Jack Spratt book. I'm not sure if my reduction in enjoyment is reading it after listening to characterization of Jack in the The Big Over Easy, but the Jack in this book a harsher than I originally expected and Mary Mary is not as strong as in the first book. I'm not sure what Fforde has in mind for Jack and Mary, but I will continue to read the Nursery Crime series.


View all my reviews.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I gained an appreciation for Lincoln after reading Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. This book seemed to be a logical next step and it did not disappoint. The narrative is engaging and the portrayal of Lincoln seems closer to completion than other books. The book could have gone into greater detail and left me wondering if portrayals on all the figures were as complete as they could be. The descriptions of the historical figures tended to be one sided and supported the author's views of the men and women.


View all my reviews.

Since the Christmas season is upon us, I've picked a Christmas book to read, The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore. I find Christopher Moore to be very amusing and funny author. He isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy fluffy dark humor, then give him a try.

No comments: