Wednesday, March 04, 2009

When I grow up

Last night I had an epiphany and realized what I want be when I grow up. I want to be a professional hobbyist. I came to this realization at my monthly fly fishing club meeting where Dave and Emily Whitlock gave a presentation on fishing the White River system in Arkansas. At one moment during the presentation, the thought, "man, what a cool job," popped into my headed and lingered there. Here I was watching a man in his 70s and his wife doing their job of talking about how great it is to fish and the decision he made to become a professional fly fisher. They both exuded excitement for their job and a love of what they do. I want to feel that, and I want to have a job I can do into my 70s, 80s, and 90s, and what could be more fun that living out my hobbies? Of course, my hobbies need to be marketable, and they largely are.

I love knitting and spinning, and the end products are sellable. I also enjoy teaching others to knit and being a knitting instructor is definitely a possibility. If I get good enough, I could even teach others to spin.
From Yarn


I love to fly fish, and being on the river is one of the most enjoyable things. I don't see why I couldn't help others fish as well.
From 2009 January Fly Fishing


I love food and cooking and feeding other people. Who knows, I bet I could find ways to market my love of food and eating.
From Irish Clover


Finally, I love to write and read. Reading, I think, makes me a better writer, and as long as there are readers and listeners, the world will always need writers. Between knitting, spinning, cooking, eating, fishing, food, and writing, I should be able to scrounge up a living of some sort when I grow. I plan on growing up in about 14 years, which should be enough time to get just good enough at something.

1 comment:

Kristi F. said...

I'm glad it is not just me who has these dreams! Of course, mine don't include fishing or knitting but I'll take the cooking and writing and I'll add painting and teaching. :)