Friday, February 29, 2008

Falling in love?


Each time I travel to Minneapolis, I fall deeper in like with the city. I'm not ready to say I love Minneapolis, but I sure do like it. I've seen the city at -20, in the heat of summer (which is roughly around 92F), and the whispers of fall. This trip, I even got to experience snowfall and it was beautiful. I walked through downtown in the Skyway system (Italian refers to the Skyway as hampster tunnels; he's not too far off). I also walked through the streets with a whipping wind swirling around me (the wind is very cold), and I still really like Minneapolis. Italian is correct in his assessment. Minneapolis is my southern home town equivolent in the Midwest with snow. I like it there, but I'm still very happy to come back south, where the temperature was a staggering 55F when I landed last night. I may not have snow, but I have two wonderful guys who cleaned the house and built me a niddy noddy while I was gone. I'm definitely in love with them.


One other note about Minneapolis: my Koolhass hat loved it. I started the hat this past weekend, with the hopes I could finish it before I landed in Minnesota, and I did. As the plane was taxiing to the gate, I was finishing the last round. I did totally goof up the top of the hat. I think I completed the first decrease round twice. Honestly, the goof up is not obvious to me and doesn't detract from the hat, so I'm going to leave it as is. I still think the top looks interesting and works with the rest of the hat. I may pull it out after a month or two, but for now, I'm okay with it. Really, I am.


Moving on, the hat is made with less than one skein of Jade Sapphire 6-ply cashmere. The yarn was a gift from a previous birthday from Papa and Nana Clover (thank you!) and it holds up well in Minneapolis wind, cold, and snow. It kept my head warm. When I blocked the yarn, I noticed the hat grew and I thought it might be a bit big. After it fully dried though, the hat had shrunk back down to a good size. I think I love it. The hat definitely loved the Minnesota snow.

No comments: