Friday, November 17, 2006

How long have you been biking?

Trying to explain to your non-fiber friends that you can't go to lunch because you have a spinning class leads to some interesting comments. First they look at you with some amount of admiration.

"Wow, how great of you to stay in fit," they think.
I see the look and respond to their thoughts by explain that I am learning how to spin yarn, and not spin a yarn as in a story, but to actually spin wool into yarn. They they look at me with the "Why in the world would you want to do that?" type of look.

After the initial shock subsides, they then ask if everyone else who spins is like way older and in their 60s. Nope, I reply with a grin. In fact, my classmate yesterday was about my age and has been knitting for about 2 years now. I actually don't know of any older spinners which strikes me as odd. She was just learning how to spin, and I was just learning how to ply, and what a difference plying makes!


I left the class with a different Louet to try out, and after the first few minutes, I could tell that I did like the Louet 75 much better than the Louet... It spins more like the Schact I tried yesterday, which was amazing!

No comments: