Thursday, April 10, 2008

Respite

What does a knitter do when the Yarn Harlot isn't coming to her town? She goes to the Yarn Harlot! At least, that was an option I was leaving open for myself. The Yarn Harlot was in Nashville for a book signing and having never seen her in person, I cleared my calendar as best as I could and left it open for driving to Nashville and back. I'm pretty sure she is worth the effort. I decided though not to go. I didn't like the idea of being away from my family for the entire evening, so I opted to have an evening of quiet sublime home-life.

I prepped my toes for sandal season. I spent some time reacquainting myself with the laundry. We still seem to have some differences and have agreed to separate again for a few days.

I had a "family mini movie night" where we had a carpet picnic while vegging out in front of the television. Pokemon is getting more thrilling with every day.

And then I took some Alchemy bamboo out of hibernation and casted on for the Lotus Blossom Tank. This time though, I remembered how to count to 50 and that 4 sets, not 8, equals 200. Which leads me to a proud mommy moment!

My kid figured out the Fibonacci sequence all by himself.

We were reading The Math Curse, which is a super fun book and I highly recommend it. Some where in the middle of the book, the main character begins to see sequences and the sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 was laid out on the page. I told him the next number in the sequence was 21. He looked at it for a bit, and I counted silently to three which is the recommend wait time before one supplies an answer to a question. Just as I was about to open my mouth and explain the sequence, he looked at me and said, "34 must be next, then," and correctly explained why. I almost cried. Of course, he had no idea what the big deal was, making the moment better. I then tried to explain binary and completely bombed explaining the concept. I'll save that for another day.

No comments: