Monday, August 14, 2006

Fallout

If there is any type of fall-out from our trip to Alaska, it may be Italian's introduction to wool. He didn't grow up wearing wool, and living in the South, he doesn't have a need for wool. He rarely wears a jacket and isn't a hat/glove/scarf type of guy, so putting on wool was kinda new to him.

When packing for the trip, he did pack most of the wool he owns: two wool sweaters and three pairs of store-bought hiking socks. The other wool sweater stayed home, being a bit too dressy for the outdoorsy activities which waited for us. Suggesting the wool articles was a huge mistake on my part. I should have intervened. I should have swapped out his clothes. I should have bought him cotton sweaters.

Italian began making a few comments here and there. He'd drop a casual, "Boy, I really liked wearing wool," and a "Gee, I didn't realize how nice and warm wool stuff is." Then, the comments became more sinister. He began saying things like "You, know, if you want to knit me anything in wool, I wouldn't mind," and "I would really enjoying having more wool clothes." Finally, the worst comment came yesterday. I innocently pulled out my Jaywalker sock when the attack occurred.
Italian eyed my sock. Me glared at me with furrowed brow. Then came the blow. "You already have a pair of handknit socks. I haven't gotten anything knitted from you."

I've got to finish the anniversary sweater.

The front of the River Forest Gansey. With any luck, I'll start the sleeves by the weekend.

No comments: