Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The downfalls of stash

I love my stash of yarn and try my best to be good to it. I occasionally feed the stash, keeping it healthy. I visit the stash on a weekly basis just to say "hello" and let the yarn know I haven't forgotten them. I also use the yarn in the stash to turn it into useful and sometimes beautiful objects. Most of the time, the stash loves me back and produces wonderful yarns in a variety of colors and fibres. It has just the yarn I am needing and the yarns are grouped together and they make me happy. This week though, the stash played a rather cruel trick on me.

For my birthday, I received a lovely skein of Schaefer Anne in a colorway of pinks and purples. It looked beautiful. The yarn was very soft and I have a feeling it will look lovely as Eunny's Point of the Wave Shawl. I had heard Knitty D and Wendy rave about Anne. I had seen other bloggers wax poetically about Anne and I was thrilled to have a chance to try it.

With Anne, I was given the book Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. We all glanced through the book and the patterns looked beautiful. Italian again commented how he didn't have any socks and the rest of the group quickly commented that he should have socks. Nevermind that his first knitted item from me will be a sweater with a very nice cable motif, the guy needs some knitted love in the form of socks.

I handed him the book and told him to pick any pattern he wanted, then I went stash diving. The stash was very excited to see me and quickly produced the skein I had in mind. It was a lovely merino wool blend sock weight yarn that I purchased last year. It was a more masculine colorway and would be perfect for a pair of men's socks. I glowed with pride as I took it to my swift and grabbed my scissors to cut the tag. Imagine my shock when I saw this:

It seems I had what I wanted all along. I just didn't know it.

No comments: